The IPA Conference organizers do not directly provide scholarships for participants. However, this page provides general information and advice on finding funding for your participation in the conference.

The following advice deal with financing for your participation in the Lille IPA Conference. They are not exhaustive, and their success may vary according to country and home institutions.

What you need to do

These are the basic steps that can help you in your search for funding.

Motivate your trip. Before making your application, ask yourself why you want to go to the Lille IPA Conference. The more stronger your reasons are, the more you will succeed in finding financing. If you contact someone, you will be asked about your motivation. So, be prepared.

Select the organizations you will contact. Choose the ones that are likely to help you.

Start early. Applications should be made some time in advance. Many organizations have limited budgets, and you are not alone in the running!

First step: to contact. When you plan to contact an organization (except perhaps your own department) you should quickly call and :

  • Explain what your intentions are: to participate in an international conference as a PhD student/teacher. Explain that this trip is important to you and that you are looking for organizations that will fund your travel and expenses.
  • Ask if the organization is able to do, if you do not already know, and how to apply. Normally, they will provide documentation.
  • Note that you can call to ask questions about the funding program. What is the probability of being funded? Are there specific groups (minorities) or themes (scientific disciplines) to which the program is intended?

Second step: the application. You'll probably have to make a formal application. You must also present a budget with justification about the requested amount. In addition, you may need letters of recommendation. If you need our help, please contact us.

Co-financing. Consider the fact that you will probably have to seek funding from various sources. In general, a source of funding provides money if another source is also involved. For example, your University fund to 50% if another institution does the same. To start this co-financing, you can ask your department or university to promise a first (modest) participation, and /or you can commit to providing a hand yourself. It might encourage other institutions to fund you.


Who to contact?

Funding can come from different sources. This section lists the categories. In addition to this list, talk with your colleagues who have already participated in international conferences. They are a valuable source of information. International Relations or the Office of Student Affairs at your University can also provide information on opportunities for national funding in your country. Possible sources of funding include:

  • Your department or research institute. They may have a budget to fund your trip. To inform you, ask your director, contact the staff of your department / research institute, or ask the person in charge of international relations. Your department may also be involved in projects or networks offering financing that can allow you to participate in the conference.
  • University. It may also have funding. Most have a person in charge of international affairs.
  • The Office for International Relations. Check with the Office for International Relations at your University if it has funds for your trip. Also ask if it has special agreements with a region or a University.
  • Research Council and Academy of Sciences. Most research councils and/or national science academies have programs for international travel.
  • Private foundations. In most countries there are private foundations which may be willing to finance your trip. Sometimes these funds require special conditions.
  • Private companies. Some companies have prices for students, fundings for travel, etc. You can ask them to support you.
  • Ministries and embassies. Maybe your ministries for Foreign Affairs, Education and/or Research have funds for travel. The embassy of the country where you drive can also have funding programs.
Online user: 1